If you're interested in pursuing a job that offers more creativity and innovation, full time work might be a good choice. January 2, 2024 marked the beginning of the job opportunity for the Meat and Seafood Manager position, which will be removed on March 23, 2024. The successful candidate for this job will receive USD 20 - 30 as their salary. The job opportunity is based in Ada, but it is possible for the company to accept applications from candidates living elsewhere if they possess the required skills.
Come join our newest location, Milwaukie! Located in the Milwaukie Marketplace, along Highway 224.
For applicants: In accordance with New Seasons Market COVID-19 policy, full COVID-19 vaccination is required as a condition of employment for certain positions at the following locations: Arbor Lodge, Cedar Hills, Concordia, Grant Park, Seven Corners, Slabtown, and Woodstock. Medical, disability-related, and religious exemptions may apply.
Job Title: Meat and Seafood Manager
Department: Meat and Seafood
Job Region: Oregon / SW Washington
Reports-To: Assistant Store Manager
Exemption Status (typically): Non-Exempt
Requirements: As a retail grocer, we operate 7 days/week and 365 days/year. Our in-store positions are likely to include evening and weekend shifts per the needs of the business. Valid Food Handler’s card and ServSafe Certification.
About us: New Seasons Market began in 2000 when three families got together to open a neighborhood market, a place where local communities can come together to connect with where their food comes from. A friendly, inviting place that honors its region’s farmers, ranchers, growers and makers—helping them prosper for generations to come. Over the years, our community has grown, but our goal is still the same: to build community through good food.
About the role: Leads management of department program and staff, including production, financial stewardship, customer service, department conditions, merchandising, food and work safety, staffing, training and performance management. Ensures the department provides an exceptional customer shopping experience, with the highest level of service and product knowledge. This is a management position. You are responsible for providing leadership in line with company values and promoting a positive and progressive work environment in alignment with our company mission, vision values and policies.
Duties and Responsibilities
To avoid becoming a victim of job scams and fraud, it's crucial to remember some essential factors when applying for jobs online. Before proceeding, ensure that you are on the verified liquidscapes.info website. Always be cautious of job postings that require payment before hiring. Before applying for any job, research the company's industry trends and market outlook to ensure that it's a forward-thinking and innovative organization. Legitimate employers will usually follow standard hiring practices, which include conducting interviews in person or over the phone. Be aware of any job postings that seem too good to be true or make unrealistic promises, and avoid them if possible. Avoid clicking on suspicious links or downloading attachments from potential employers, as they may contain malware or phishing scams. Be cautious of job postings that require you to use your personal bank account to process company payments. Confirm that the job posting is genuine and the company is hiring by contacting them and asking for details. Keep an eye out for job postings that require you to sign up for a free trial or subscription before being considered for a job, as these are often signs of a fraudulent opportunity.
- Understands, models and instills company culture. Creates a positive and supportive work environment.
- Promotes a collaborative team environment through recognition, leading by example and working alongside staff. Demonstrates approachability and fosters open communication. Creates an environment where staff are invested and encouraged to contribute ideas.
- Demonstrates a pro-active approach in resolving staff issues and conflicts.
- Builds and sustains a high performing team. Responsible for development of team members including interviewing and hiring, training and development and performance management.
- Seeks opportunities to train and develop staff members to take on increased responsibilities. Demonstrates ability to adapt approach to different learning styles among staff.
- Demonstrates a whole store perspective. May work with store leadership team in providing oversight to overall store operations, including service levels and store conditions. May act as Manager On Duty as assigned.
- Builds trust and respect through dependability, organization and follow through.
- Demonstrates adaptability, flexibility and creativity in problem-solving and is solutions-oriented. Bases decisions on analysis, experience, resources and circumstances. Prioritizes and acts decisively under pressure.
- Demonstrates self-awareness and seeks opportunities for professional growth. Seeks and responds positively to feedback.
- Establishes and maintains effective verbal and written communication systems.
- Oversees effective scheduling and labor allocation to meet business needs and labor budget. Ensures adequate staffing conditions, including leadership coverage.
- Ensures department representation at all required committee meetings. Encourages and supports staff participation in other committees.
- Prepares and delivers corrective actions and performance reviews in a timely manner. Follows documentation and compensation guidelines.
- Communicates in a professional and constructive manner. Responds to and follows through on emails and other communications in a timely manner.
- Demonstrates an understanding of basic Human Resources concepts; works with resources at store level to increase knowledge.
- Engages the customer in a friendly manner, shares product information and assists in locating product throughout the store. Seeks opportunities to exceed customer expectations and enhance the customer experience.
- Demonstrates ability to manage own time and models a flexible work style. Shifts tasks as priorities and circumstances change based on needs and conditions of department.
- Represents company values. Works cooperatively and positively with fellow team members, customers and vendors spiriting a respectful workplace where everyone is welcome.
- Gives and receives feedback in a constructive manner demonstrating company Speak Up culture. Responds to feedback in order to improve performance.
- Conserves company resources. Works in a manner consistent with company mission, vision and values and sustainability program.
- Adheres to work and food safety policies set forth by the company and all local, state and federal regulatory agencies. Contributes tostore cleanliness, maintains equipment. Informs store/department management of any problems.
- Observes all company rules and policies. Understands and complies with specific department or location guidelines, tasks and responsibilities.
- Assesses, prioritizes and delegates tasks and production within both Meat and Seafood departments ensuring that the daily business needs are achieved.
- Wraps, weighs and prices meat and seafood products according to department policy, dating and government regulations in regards to tare weights and COOL Act.
- Ensures all meat and seafood items are cut, trimmed, and processed in accordance to company standards.
- Ensures department is stocked, rotated, faced and adheres to merchandising standards and category schematics. Demonstrates creativity and utilizes all tools and products in order to increase sales and minimize waste.
- Demonstrates a solid understanding of labor, sales and margin goals and factors that influence them. Meets labor and margin goals. Develops and executes a plan when results do not meet expectations.
- Responsible for in-stock conditions. Maintains appropriate inventory levels to achieve sales and margin goals; adjusts for seasonal needs. Includes setting par levels and establishing daily production levels for case-ready back stock.
- Reads and understands merchandising information. Develops and executes merchandising plans to promote peak seasonal/ad item/holiday products, drive sales and create an optimal customer shopping experience.
- Coordinates with Promotions department to plan and conduct in-store tastings.
- Receives and unloads merchandise; checks quality, count for accuracy and condition. Communicates any issues to management and merchandising team.
- Maintains the organization, rotation and cleanliness of all back stock areas with attention to product quality and expiration dates.
- Assists customers with product selection. Shares product knowledge with customers. Makes recommendations and suggestions based on customer needs.
- Ensures customer needs are met which is to include, special orders are completed on time, schedules are written to meet peak sales hours and all top movers are readily available.
- Ensures department compliance with company organic standards.
- Proactively leads the department leadership team in analyzing monthly perishable inventory, ensuring accuracy with the final counts.
- Trains and educates staff to write orders and production schedules consistent with department goals and standards.
- Ensures that department adheres to company invoice, credit, transfer, and inventory procedures.
- Maintains professional vendor relationships.
- Leverages resources and labor to maximize efficiency, without compromising quality and service standards.
- Tools and Equipment Used (not all inclusive): This position may be required to use the following tools and equipment: baler, hand truck, POS, industrial kitchen equipment (i.e. blast chiller, grill, knives/blades, oven, grills, scales, etc.), basic housekeeping / janitorial and standard office equipment.
- This position works at a Heavy level. Required frequently and up to continuously to be on feet with a mix of standing and walking throughout shift. Sitting seldom required. Up to occasionally, dependent on location, required to climb stairs, step stool and /or ladders.
- Continuously required to: lift and carry 1-20 pounds; use arms, hands and wrists; grasping/squeezing; reach at/above shoulder; reach below shoulder
- Frequently required to: lift and carry 21-50 pounds; bend/stoop; twist; push and/or pull 1-80 pounds
- Performs other tasks and duties as assigned.
This job description is not meant to be an all-inclusive list of duties, responsibilities and requirements, but constitutes a general definition of the position's scope and function within our company. New Seasons Market / New Leaf Community Markers reserves the right to amend and change duties, responsibilities, and requirements to meet changing industry or business needs as necessary.
What you Bring as a Candidate:
- Previous customer service, food service, retail or grocery experience required.
- Knowledge of retail Meat and Seafood departments required.
- Prior meat cutting / fabrication experience required.
- Previous management experience required.
- Mid to high-level proficiency with MS Office. Working knowledge with POS, inventory or other retail specific software preferred.
- Skills to manage financial results, including labor, sales and profit margin.
Physical and Environmental Work Space: Work occurs in a grocery store environment which includes surfaces that can be wet and slippery, moderate noise level, and temperature extremes in controlled environments in the cooler and freezer, and depending on location, working outside in all temperatures. There may be exposure to certain allergens and / or chemicals. In accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, the ADA Amendments Act of 2008, and other applicable state or local law, we will make reasonable accommodations to qualified applicants and employees with disabilities.
It's important to carefully read through all the qualifications and requirements of this job opening. Have you done so? We are excited to receive applications from individuals who are dedicated to fulfilling the responsibilities of this job. Please make sure to read the job requirements and responsibilities carefully before applying. Rushing through your job application can lead to mistakes and inaccuracies that can ultimately harm your chances of being hired.