If your application is successful, you will receive a salary of USD 106,000 - 136,000 / year for this job. While this position is currently based in America, the company may be open to considering candidates from other locations if they are the right fit. January 17, 2024 marked the beginning of the job opportunity for the Senior Software Engineer - IBM i RPG position, which will be removed on April 16, 2024. Work experience in the same field for a minimum of 48 months is a must for this job. If you're looking for a change, full time work might be the right move for you.
The work we do has an impact on millions of lives, and you can be a part of it. We help protect our customers against life’s uncertainties. Regardless of where you work within the company, you’ll be helping provide protection and peace of mind when our customers need it most.
Protective Life is looking for a Senior Engineer Application Developer who is responsible for designing, coding, testing, implementing, maintaining, and supporting software systems. Works closely with business analysts and customers to gather requirements in order to ensure the customer’s business needs and expectations are met in a timely and cost-effective manner. Diagnoses, isolates, and de-bugs software problems and provides resolution. Prepares and modifies technical documentation. Researches, evaluates, and recommends new development tools and applications as appropriate. May be responsible for managing work within a project. Responsibilities
- Analysis and Design. Research, compiles, and evaluates information used in the development and maintenance of large and complex systems and processes to satisfy business needs. Designs large and complex systems and/or support processes that meet customer requirements while effectively interacting with existing systems/support processes.
- Programming and Testing. Constructs, modifies, and tests large and complex system changes.
- Problem determination and resolution. Quickly diagnoses complex problems; determines and implements quality solutions in a timely fashion. This covers all areas of production support and daily problem research and resolution. Production incidents need prompt attention and correction to reduce impact on the business area.
- Documentation. Provides thorough and complete documentation for all programming changes and enhancements. Documentation must meet corporate standards.
- Business Knowledge and Interaction: Understands the business needs of the customer and provides quality customer support by providing appropriate communication, anticipating customer needs and/or problems, and understanding the broad impact of changes on all customer processes. Provides appropriate solutions and proactively suggests process improvements.
- Project / Task Management. Performs project management duties for the technical aspects of large and complex projects as needed depending on the nature of the project. Manages individual tasks on large projects to ensure that all tasks are delivered according to the project plan.
- IT Influence/Leadership. Provides leadership as a model of how others should interact and accomplish tasks. Is considered 'a top expert' by peers in one or more important areas of expertise, such as, a programming language, computer system, data base, etc. Provides an appropriate level of feedback to peers, support and interface areas, and management. Willingly shares and assists in the development skills of others.
- Post-secondary degree, preferably in Management Information Services, Computer Science or Math related field may substitute for up to 4 years of work and/or technical experience.
- 8+ years of applicable work and/or technical experience in languages/environments is preferred.
- Technical certifications are desirable and may substitute for some work and/or technical experience. (Microsoft Certifications, etc.)
- Recognized expertise in their assigned areas of responsibility.
- Demonstrates a thorough, detailed working knowledge of relevant technologies. Responsible for designing and implementing how the technologies will be incorporated in current systems or will be used in development of very complex new systems.
- Demonstrates a thorough, detailed understanding of various data structures.
- Requires programming skills sufficient to solve difficult and complex technical problems.
- Must be able to manage multiple, changing priorities, resolve conflicts and be able to work well under pressure.
- Must be self- motivated, able to work independently and willing to self-teach and take responsibility for ongoing professional development.
- Ability to analyze and design software solutions to meet complex requirements.
- Requires oral and written communication skills sufficient to communicate clearly with peers and customers.
- IBM RPG Free Format Experience - Required
- IBM DB2 Database Experience - Required
- C# .NET Development Experience – Highly Preferred
- SQL for CRUD operations – Required
- IBM I Development Experience – Required
- .Net WinForms Development - Preferred
- IBM RPG Free Format Experience - Required
- IBM DB2 Database Experience - Required
- Strong aptitude to pick up new skills and knowledge through research and perseverance
- The adaptability to work in an everchanging and dynamic environment
- Ability to think outside the box to provide innovative solutions
- Self-starter that can initiate research and/or contact with others in order to solve issues
- Exceptional interpersonal skills, including teamwork and facilitation
- Proven problem solving and analytical thinking and ability to approach problems logically and systematically
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
Protective’s targeted salary range for this position is $102,000 to $140,000. Actual salaries may vary depending on factors, including but not limited to, job location, skills, and experience. The range listed is just one component of Protective’s total compensation package for employees.
When applying for jobs online, there are some important things to keep in mind to avoid falling victim to fraudulent job postings. Don't disclose sensitive personal information to potential employers until you have verified that they are legitimate and trustworthy. Make sure that the job is legitimate and the company is hiring by reaching out to them. Employers who do not conduct in-person or phone interviews may not be legitimate, so it's important to verify their authenticity before proceeding. Be cautious of job postings that require you to sign up for a recruitment or staffing agency before being considered for a job, as these are often signs of a fraudulent job posting. Be cautious of job postings that require you to give your personal bank account details, as they may not be legitimate. Before accepting any job offer, research the company thoroughly to ensure its authenticity and reputation. Avoid job postings that make unrealistic promises or guarantees about your future earnings or success. Job postings that promise easy money or guaranteed earnings are often scams.
This position also offers additional incentive opportunities through an annual incentive based on individual and Company performance. Employee Benefits:
We aim to protect our employees' wellbeing through a broad benefits offering. For example, we protect physical wellbeing through health, dental and vision insurance. We protect mental wellbeing through mental health benefits and an employee assistance program. We protect time away from work with a variety of paid time away benefits ( e.g.
, paid time off, paid parental leave, short-term disability, and a cultural observance day). We protect financial wellbeing through contributions to healthcare accounts, a pension plan, and a 401(k) plan with Company matching. All employees are encouraged to protect their overall wellbeing by engaging in ProHealth Rewards, Protective’s platform to improve wellbeing while earning cash rewards. Eligibility for certain benefits may vary by position in accordance with the terms of the Company’s benefit plans.
Diversity and Inclusion :
At Protective, we are committed to providing an inclusive culture where all employees are able to fully contribute and thrive. Our goal is to grow and develop our people, attract diverse talent and support strong, diverse communities.
We support diversity, equity, and inclusion by working to develop a culture of inclusion and belonging led by leaders who develop potential and embrace unique skills and abilities. Our aim is to create an equitable and accountable environment for all leaders and employees that will drive performance and impact business strategy. In this way, we can increase overall diversity for leadership roles and pipelines of talent by maturing our hiring practices, robust development opportunities and focus on retention of key talent.
We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer committed to being inclusive and attracting, retaining, and growing the talents of a diverse and inclusive workforce.
If you have examined this job vacancy carefully, now is the time to make a decision whether to apply. If you want to stand out from the competition, make sure that your application is accurate and well-crafted. We encourage you to ask questions and seek clarification before submitting an application. We are excited to receive applications from individuals who are passionate about this job opportunity and can fulfill the responsibilities and requirements. If you're looking for a job that offers more training or professional development opportunities, there are other job vacancies on liquidscapes.info that might be a better fit for you.