BACKGROUND: The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world's worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. At work in over 40 countries and 26 U.S. cities to restore safety, dignity and hope, the IRC leads the way from harm to home. The IRC in Atlanta office was established in 1979 and has resettled over 27,000 refugees from nearly 55 countries into the Greater Atlanta area. As the largest refugee resettlement agency in Georgia, the IRC in Atlanta resettles an average of 600 refugees into Georgia annually and provides additional services and assistance to another 2,900 refugees and asylees.
SCOPE OF EMPLOYMENT SERVICES: This position is located within the Early Employment Services Department, which aims to assist job seekers with job readiness and placement and develop mutually beneficial relationships between employers and immigrant job seekers. The AmeriCorps Workforce Training Associate is a one-year position primarily focused on employment-related education, coaching, and finding jobs for active and non-active Matching clients. AmeriCorps is also responsible for providing vocational English instruction, job readiness orientations, vocational training services, and employment placement services to improve client capacity to obtain and retain employment. This position will report to the Employment Services Manager.
PLEASE NOTE: This position is a Notre Dame Mission Volunteer (NDMV) AmeriCorps position. AmeriCorps oversight will be conducted through NDMV of Atlanta, and the IRC will serve as a site placement. For more information about NDMV, please visit www.ndmva.org. The candidate will need to complete the AmeriCorps application process through the NDMV site liaison and the IRC's interview and selection process. RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Deliver culturally and linguistically appropriate instruction through workforce development workshops and other group training focused on work readiness and employability skills
- Develop new and existing curricula for workforce development workshops and other group training
- Provide individually tailored workforce instruction and coaching to clients in one-on-one settings, including assisting clients directly in conducting intakes and assessments, developing employment plans, teaching interview skills, resume skills, and key concepts surrounding household budgeting and self-sufficiency
- Conduct pre- and post-assessments with regular students.
- Assist with logistics planning for all group career coaching sessions, including scheduling, transportation, space, childcare, and interpretation issues as they arise!
- Assist employment staff in outreach and recruiting efforts for eligible refugee clients!
- Provide administrative support to the employed staff, including data entry, file maintenance, and updating internal reports.
- Collaborate with the IRC Employment services team and other IRC staff to ensure clients receive the comprehensive services they need to achieve their goals and that funder-mandated and agency goals are met.
- Meeting office walk-in clients in search of employment services.
- Respond to inquiries, phone calls, and e-mails promptly and professionally!
- Attending and actively participating in staff meetings and special staff development programs.
- Driving clients for job interviews
- Building new employer partnership
- An interest in international and refugee issues
- Effective communication and writing skills.
- Ability to write lesson plans and adapt to existing curriculum.
- Superior attention to detail
- Excellent organizational skills
- Creativity and initiative to follow through on projects.
- A strong desire to help people and enthusiasm to work in a multicultural setting.
- Prior experience in a non-profit setting is a plus.
- Ability to work independently and take initiative in a fast-paced environment.
- A valid driver's license and a reliable vehicle is preferred.
- Must be able to comfortably lift boxes of donated clothing and household items up to 50 lbs. unaided.
- Demonstrated proficiency in using Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel and other applications as well as experience using and entering data into electronic databases is beneficial.
The IRC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. IRC considers all applicants on the basis of merit without regard to race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability.