Animal keepers are responsible for animal welfare and husbandry, including training and enrichment. Additionally, animal keepers are responsible for maintenance of habitats, holdings, and public areas as assigned. The Seasonal Keeper will report to the area managers. For more information about our mission, animal, conservation, and research programs visit . Zoo Atlanta is home to one of North America's largest populations of gorillas and orangutans. Our primate programs are nationally and internationally recognized with our research, training, enrichment, and animal care techniques contributing to the world's knowledge of ape biology, behavior, and management. Zoo Atlanta is also the only facility in North America that houses drill monkeys, considered endangered by IUCN. Our small primates live in dynamic mixed species habitats.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES, SKILLS, AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Experience and Skills: QUALIFICATIONS:
- Must be willing to support Zoo Atlanta's strategic plan, mission and values, and work with all zoo staff to support these plans.
- Maintain a high-performance level of excellent animal care.
- Effectively monitor health and behavior of the animal collection and communicate changes to supervisors. Oversee administration of medications as applicable.
- Actively support and implement area policies, procedures, and protocols to ensure the highest standards of care for the collection and the safety of staff and guests.
- Maintain the highest level of safety in the work area through implementation of safety protocols and procedures.
- Use strong interpersonal skills to form and maintain positive relationships within the work environment.
- Positively promote and foster work that improves department function and productivity.
- Communicates effectively with supervisory staff and co-workers both written and orally.
- Write daily reports, logs, animal records, and other records as assigned
- Responsible for special projects, procedures, and goals set forth by the area managers.
- Must be dependable and reliable: be timely, be responsive, be organized, meet deadlines, take responsibility, and help other zoo staff as needed.
- Employees must strive to decrease our environmental footprint to serve as models to our patrons to do the same through education and example.
- Must be able and willing to work flexible hours and weekends.
- Must be able to be trained and carry pepper spray.
- Must be willing to comply with department PPE policy.
- This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive; therefore, the employee may be required to perform other reasonably related duties as assigned by management.
- Must have the ability to: demonstrate focus, follow written verbal instructions, effectively promote organization, manage stress to perform the job effectively, remember details, manage time effectively, apply critical thinking techniques, analyze, and solve problems.
- Demonstrate computer proficiency to complete the functions of this position.
- The ideal candidate will likely be enrolled in college or have obtained a degree but other candidates on a different career path will be considered.
WORK ENVIRONMENT/PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
- Must obtain and maintain a valid Georgia driver's license.
- Must be able to work outdoors in all weather conditions and have the physical ability to perform strenuous work.
This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. Therefore, the employee may be required to perform other reasonably related duties as assigned by the immediate supervisor or other management. The company reserves the right to revise or change job duties as business requirements dictate. It is mutually agreed that this job description does not constitute a written or implied contract of employment.
Zoo Atlanta is an EOE and provides a Smoke-free and Drug-free Work Environment
To apply for this position, please go to our website: zooatlanta.org/About/Careers