Area Manager Northern Passage
Area Managers supervise daily operations of the Zoo’s animal areas, providing leadership for the keeper team and ensuring excellent welfare for collection animals.
Candidates for this position should have experience with large carnivores and birds, and a strong interest in training and behavior management.
At least one year of supervisory or management experience is preferred, as is a degree in Biology, Animal Sciences, Wildlife Management or similar.
- Supervise and coordinate all activities of keeper staff assigned to them;
- Perform keeper duties as needed to ensure that daily animal needs are met;
- Ensure that all animal care activities meet department, Zoo and AZA standards;
- Act as a liaison for curators and keeper team regarding the daily concerns of the department and Zoo;
- Report animal health, behavioral and welfare concerns to curators and vet staff as appropriate;
- Carry out annual performance reviews for all direct reports;
- Ensure that all direct reports adhere to department and Zoo policies, and implement disciplinary actions as necessary;
- Participate in recruitment and onboarding of new Animal Department hires;
- Foster a team culture of inclusivity and collaboration;
- Develop, implement and maintain area and team SOP documentation in collaboration with curators;
- Ensure that animal records are kept up-to-date and accurate;
- Assist with upkeep of buildings and exhibits, including pest control, winterization, landscaping and perching;
- Carry out back-up manager duties as assigned by department management;
- Be available 24/7 for emergency response coverage;
- Participate in the Zoo’s emergency firearms response team and meet annual firearms training requirements;
- Perform all other duties as assigned; and,
- Adhere to department and Zoo policies.
This is a full time salaried position with benefits.
How to Apply
Interested candidates can fill out an applicatin form using the 'zoo careers' link on the Maryland Zoo website https://www.marylandzoo.org/about-us/zoo-careers/
The Maryland Zoo in Baltimore
1876 Mansion House Drive
Baltimore, MD 21217
Useful link(s) for this job
- click apply button below
This job was expired