December 11, 2023 marked the start of the job opportunity for the Refugee Employment & Data Intern position, which will come to an end on March 8, 2024. When applying for part time positions with International Rescue Committee, ensure that the work structure and expectations align with your long-term career goals. The employer is looking for candidates who meet the qualifications and experience requirements for this position, regardless of their location. Not knowing the salary, you may negotiate it with the employer during the job offer.
BACKGROUND: Founded in 1933, the International Rescue Committee is a leading, non-sectarian, non-profit organization providing emergency relief, protection, rehabilitation assistance, resettlement services, and advocacy for refugees and victims of oppression or violent conflict. Domestically, our 28 offices across the U.S. ensure new arrivals have food, shelter, and clothing, and work with refugees to help them gain self-sufficiency.
SCOPE OF WORK: Finding and maintaining employment is a key element to refugee self-sufficiency. The intern will assist IRC employment staff to identify potential employers and job opportunities for refugee clients. The intern will complete job applications, assist with resume writing, prepare clients for job interviews, fill out new hire paperwork, shop for needed work clothes and tools, and accompany clients to their first day of work. Depending on the intern's schedule, h/she may act as a teaching assistant in job readiness classes. The intern will also provide administrative support including documenting job search activities and delivering appointment notices to clients' homes. RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Conduct employment assessments, create resumes, complete, and cover letters, apply for jobs, prepare clients for interviews, fill out new hire paperwork, accompany clients to interviews, orientations, and first day of work
- Provide post-employment placement follow up support and address and challenges or concerns expressed by client or employer
- Provide support to clients in addressing barriers to self-sufficiency; barriers include: limited English proficiency, lack of work experience, lack of childcare, lack of transportation, etc.
- Develop employer partnerships through research and targeted outreach
- Consolidate and organize client service delivery data into appropriate spreadsheets and databases; track and casenote employment placements and progress, services, and other data in IRC's database
- Model appropriate workplace dress and manner
- Transport to and assist with employment related activities
- Research potential job openings and complete employment applications
- Document activities in case files and provide other administrative support as appropriate
- Attend Volunteer/Intern Orientation
- Record hours and submit completed timesheet for each month via the IRC's online Volunteer Dashboard
When searching for jobs online, it's crucial to remember these essential tips to ensure that you find legitimate job postings. To ensure a safe and successful job search, research the company thoroughly before applying for any job to avoid scams and illegitimate organizations. Be on the lookout for job postings that require you to use your personal bank account for any reason. Be cautious of requests for personal information from potential employers. If a job posting requests an interview via text message or email, it's important to verify the company's legitimacy. Be cautious of job postings that require you to provide samples of your work without proper compensation or credit, as this could be a sign of a fraudulent job posting. Be careful not to give out too much personal information when applying for jobs online, especially if you are unsure of the legitimacy of the employer or job posting. If a job posting requires payment for training or anything else, it's probably a scam. To confirm the authenticity of the job posting and that they are currently hiring, it is recommended to contact the company directly.
- Good written and verbal communications skills
- Strong interpersonal skills and able to engage clients in a counseling/coaching role
- Reliable, responsible, punctual and professional
- Flexible and able to work in a fast-paced, dynamic environment
- Comfortable working in a multicultural setting
- Car is required for this internship
This position is unpaid and reports to the Employment Specialist.
IRC leading the way from harm to home.
IRC is an Equal Opportunity Employer IRC considers all applicants on the basis of merit without regard to race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability.
If you have scrutinized this job vacancy thoroughly, now is the time to make a decision whether to apply. We want all applicants to be fully committed and interested in this job opportunity before applying. Don't let the pressure to submit your application quickly cause you to overlook important details. We welcome applications from individuals who are dedicated to meeting the requirements and expectations of this job. Alternatively, there are other job vacancies on liquidscapes.info that might offer a better work environment or team dynamics.