About the Company
WJ Palmisano (WJP) is a rapidly scaling organization emerging as a nationally recognized leader in construction through our unique Renegade mindset focused on innovation, creativity, and culture. WJP brands currently include Impetus Building, Impetus Infrastructure, RNGD, Palmisano Foundation, Renegade Academy, WJP Real Estate, and Emergent Properties. The team is made up of a highly engaged group of seasoned professionals and emerging leaders. We are creators who believe that what we build drives the growth of our cities and that to fulfill our mission, we must constantly challenge the old way of doing things. Headquartered in New Orleans, Louisiana, we thrive on building communities, building teams, building leaders and growing the business throughout the Southeast region with additional teams currently in Nashville and Huntsville.
About the Role
The Safety Coordinator will work under the supervision of the Corporate Counsel and in conjunction with the Safety Director to provide company safety support on projects of various sizes and day-to-day business. Focused on safety areas in an effort to prevent and mitigate employee injuries/illnesses, the Safety Coordinator will assist field employees and subcontractors alike. The Safety Coordinator shall ensure the group remains in compliance with site policies/procedures as well as governmental regulations such as OSHA, DOT, EPA, and NFPA.
- Participate in daily JSA meetings and supporting weekly safety meetings.
- Perform job hazard analysis to identify hazards within the workplace. Requires the ability to climb scaffold and enter confined spaces on job sites. Coach and guide employees regarding safety compliance issues and project Safety plan expectations.
- Assist with the enforcement of compliance of Federal, State, and Local laws and regulations such as OSHA, DOT, EPA, and NFPA.
- Participate in the processes and ensure accuracy and timeliness of reporting for Incident/Accident investigations. Gather data and aid in investigative charters.
- Aid and assist administration in documentation management, development, and implementation. Carry out safety duties in accordance with company’s safety policies.
- Assist in program developments, attend necessary meetings, and provide proactive solutions to team members.
- Conduct necessary training where applicable to include company Safety orientations and craft/task specific Health & Safety requirements.
- Routinely travel to both local and remote jobsites.
- Inspection of specific areas for fire-prevention equipment, first-aid supplies, and other safety devices.
- Inspect equipment and machinery to observe possible unsafe conditions.
- Support Safety Director in collecting pertinent information for monthly safety newsletter.
- Champion monthly employee recognition program.
- Distribute monthly compliance reporting data to superintendents.
- Data entry, reports and production of pertinent documents associated with daily inspections, observations, etc.
- Support and assist in the facilitation of the Company’s safety training program, onboarding and tracking.
- Other duties, as assigned.
- Successful completion of high school or equivalent required.
- 3+ years safety experience in the construction industry with an emphasis on civil construction.
- OSHA 30 required; or able to obtain within 6 months of hire date.
- Must possess a valid driver’s license.
- Working knowledge and understanding of current construction and general industry Safety regulations (CFR 1926/1910) with the ability to analyze and interpret for the Safety of employees, jobsites, and the company.
- Ability to multitask, prioritize job duties responsibilities, and work in a fast-paced and dynamic environment.
- Reliable transportation to drive from jobsite to jobsite.
- Acceptable driving record.
- Excellent oral, written and presentation skills to effectively train, motivate, and communicate with employees, supervisors, and managers.
- Possess Microsoft Word, Excel, and Power Point experience.
- Ability to manage a complex schedule.
- Attention to detail and observation ability.
- Degree in Occupational Health & Safety Preferred.
- Professional Certifications related to the industry including COSS, COSM, CHST, OHST.
- Ability to translate Spanish.
- Instructor led training experience.
- Trench and Excavation Competent Person training
- Traffic Control Certification
- Knowledge of heavy equipment operations
- First aid/CPR certified
- Strategic: The ability to undertake a systematic approach to accomplishing work; identify and implement the most efficient methods of accomplishing tasks; and organize activities and people to complete work efficiently.
- Prudent: The ability to accurately estimate the duration and difficulty of certain tasks; anticipate possible issues that may arise during the project; and ensure that the team develops and adheres to a realistic schedule and budget.
- Emotionally Intelligent: The ability to anticipate and understand the needs, desires, and intentions of others; build meaningful relationships with others by leveraging emotions; pick up on verbal and non-verbal cues; and manage emotions effectively.
- Approachable: The ability to inspire trust; listen well; proactively make oneself available; and create opportunities for unplanned actions.
- Analytical: The ability to use facts and data to make and communicate informed decisions; synthesize information from multiple sources; complement data with intuition and personal experience; and strive for a deep understanding of issues.