LIBRARY ASSOCIATE 2 JOB DESCRIPTION
Under direction from management, the Library Associate 2 performs a variety of moderately complex technical and paraprofessional duties at the library circulation (service) desk. Greets library patrons entering the library and provides them with excellent customer service. Responsibilities:
An individual must be able to perform each essential duty and responsibility satisfactorily.
- Provides excellent customer service
- Assists patrons with locating materials, using computers, or explaining procedures (checking out, logging onto the Internet, making copies, etc.)
- Checks in and processes library materials as necessary
- Accepts and processes lost item fees
- Provides information regarding programs, events, conference rooms, etc.
- Shelves library materials
- Addresses or escalates patron conduct or safety issues to appropriate management
- Know and understand the American Library Association’s Library Bill of Rights, Freedom to Read Statement and Freedom to View Statement, recognizing that freedom of access is a fundamental tenet of a public library. In addition to these freedoms, support client discretion of materials available at your local library(ies).
- Follow all legal and policy requirements related to patron privacy and custodianship of patron records
- Other duties as assigned
An individual should possess the knowledge, skills, and abilities listed and meet the amount of education, training and/or work experience required.
- H.S. Diploma or GED
- Two years of library experience preferred
- Basic knowledge of library systems and databases preferred
- Excellent customer service skills
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite
- Good communication skills, both written and verbal
- Must be able to work a flexible schedule that may include a combination of days, evenings and weekends
- Must be able to move from place to place within the location; lift, push/pull, hold/carry of items weighing up to (25) pounds and occasional up to (35) pounds such as files, books, stacks of paper, and other materials.
- Ability to sit for long periods of time and to maintain focus on projects such as computer screens or detailed paperwork.
Vacation and Sick Leave