Plan and implement a safety program, including:
Recruit, train, schedule, evaluate, supervise and develop customer service-oriented staff. Counsel with staff with regard to safety and facility security issues. Chair Safety Committee. Conduct internal investigations and inspect hazards with regard to visitor or staff accidents, injuries or incidents and recommend corrective action. Maintain injury reports for visitors and staff and necessary logs for safety, security, and record-keeping purposes, including OSHA. Maintain key control program, including sign out sheets and key inventory. Establish and maintain effective liaisons with state and local law enforcement agencies and EMS. Manage access control system, including front gate, east gate, all perimeter gates and interior gates/buildings as specified. Maintain and update Safety Manual and training in partnership with other designated staff members. Maintain and update Crisis Management Plan, in coordination with the City Emergency Management Office and the Memphis Police Department. Coordinate training/staffing of Crisis Management Team, in partnership with Animal Programs. Maintain and update Fire and Intrusion Alarm Notification. Manage annual checks/maintenance on all alarms, smoke and dust detectors, sensor and intrusion alarms. Develop and drill for Zoo evacuations and other “shelter in place” techniques used in weather, active shooter and other dangerous situations. Manage video monitoring systems, updating, centralizing and developing plan for maintenance of existing coverage and expanding coverage. Provide support to other zoo departments. Perform other related duties as assigned in order to achieve the goals and mission of the Zoo.
- Performing facility inspections, conducting safety audits, recommending corrective measures, providing and documenting safety training for zoo staff.
- Policy and procedure development with regard to emergency preparedness, evacuation procedures and development of work safety standards.
Special Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities:
- Thorough knowledge of safety and facility security procedures.
- Ability to effectively communicate verbally and in writing with employees and the public.
- Ability to resolve problems in a positive, professional, and friendly manner.
- Ability to act independently and decisively in crisis situations.
- Ability to supervise and schedule employees, shifts, and functions.
- Possess a valid driver’s license and clear or acceptable Motor Vehicle Record.
Machines, Equipment, and Aids used on the job:
- Two-way radio
- Personal computer, including Word, Excel, Access, E-mail, and other Zoo software programs
- Training aids such as PowerPoint presentations with projector
- Night watchman guard tour system
Working Conditions and Physical Demands:
- Requires working outdoors in all types of weather.
- Requires extensive walking throughout the Zoo premises.
- Requires standing for prolonged periods.
- Requires extensive interaction with the public.
How to Apply
2000 Prentiss Place
Memphis, TN 38112
Useful link(s) for this job
- click apply button below
It's important to ensure that this job listing aligns with your salary and compensation expectations. Have you considered this before making a decision? Submitting an accurate and complete job application is a sign of professionalism and commitment to excellence. If you have any doubts about your ability to fulfill the responsibilities, please consider if this job is the right fit for you. If you are confident in your ability to fulfill the responsibilities and requirements of this job, we welcome you to apply.