New York Public Library has part time roles for individuals who enjoy working in a team environment. December 2, 2023 marked the beginning of the Library Page - Stephen A. Schwarzman Building / Maps, Dorot Jewish, Local History & Genealogy Divisions job opportunity, which will expire on March 1, 2024. While this position is currently based in New York City, the company may be open to considering candidates from other locations if they are the right fit. The job you applied for has a salary of USD 10 - 20 for successful candidates.
Library Page - Stephen A. Schwarzman Building / Maps, Dorot Jewish, Local History & Genealogy Divisions
Department: Research Libraries
Employment Type: Part Time
Location: Stephen A. Schwarzman Building
Reporting To: Brook Granda
Compensation: $15.00 / hour Description
The New York Public Library has been an essential provider of free books, information, ideas and education for all New Yorkers for more than 100 years. As a Library Page at The New York Public Library you will do that and much more. A Page position is meant to give you knowledge about what it means to work within a library system. You will have access to a wealth of knowledge and experience which will allow you to decide if the library is where you want to begin your career. We are looking for candidates that demonstrate a strong work ethic, are reliable and possess excellent written and verbal communications skills. You will be expected to be an ambassador for the library, so a friendly demeanor goes a long way.
Before proceeding with your job search online, make sure to keep these crucial factors in mind to avoid scams and fraudulent job postings. It is important to reach out to the organization directly to ensure that the job posting is not a scam and that they are currently hiring. Job postings that require access to your personal bank account should be avoided at all costs. Be cautious of job postings that ask you to provide your credit card information or bank account details. A reputable company will want to conduct interviews in a professional setting and not through electronic communication methods. Researching the company's supply chain and logistics can help you understand its efficiency and operational excellence before applying for any job. Never give out your personal information or pay for a job opportunity that promises quick cash. Stay alert for any unusual or suspicious requests from potential employers, such as sending money or using a specific payment method. Stay safe online by being cautious about sharing personal information with employers you don't know, even if the job seems legitimate.
You will have access to the Library Page Fellowship Program as a Library Page. A career growth development program that empowers youth as they shape their careers. The Program provides resources to help develop career readiness skills, explore career goals, and provide on-the-job coaching, training, and mentorship.
The library page position is scheduled for 19 hours per week, including evenings and Saturdays. Schedules are variable based on library needs and may be subject to change. Key Responsibilities
Under the direction of a Page supervisor, the Library Page:
- Projects a positive and courteous attitude to the public by providing exceptional customer service
- Shelves and arranges books, and other library materials in order.
- Answers in-person inquiries, helps patrons locate needed materials and refers patrons to the appropriate place or person for assistance
- Assists patrons with basic computer, internet and audio/visual equipment usage
- Locates and prepares library materials requested by patrons
- Assists staff with checking materials for damage and recommending them for repair
- Helps set up public spaces for events and programs
- Performs other related tasks as needed
Required Education, Experience & Skills
Required Education and Certifications
- Current enrollment in a degree program at an accredited school
as required by NYS law Required Experience
- Ability to troubleshoot basic computer and printer issues preferred
- Experience with eReaders and library technologies preferred
- Ability to speak foreign languages preferred
- Ability to accurately and efficiently sort and arrange items in alphanumeric order
- Strong organizational skills and ability to follow detailed instruction in a fast-paced environment
- Excellent customer service skills and the ability to work with a diverse patronage
- Superb interpersonal and communication skills
- Strong problem-solving skills
- Demonstrated ability to work as part of a team
- Demonstrated reliability and professionalism
- Basic computer and basic technology skills such as Microsoft Office Suite and Google Applications
More Core Values
- Be Helpful to patrons and colleagues
- Be Resourceful in solving problems
- Be Curious in all aspects of your work
- Be Welcoming and Inclusive
- Moderate lifting required (up to 25 lbs)
- Pushing book trucks
19 hours per week
After taking the time to read this job vacancy carefully, it's time to make a decision. Have you done so? Make sure to submit your application before the job posting expiration date to ensure it's considered. If you are confident in your ability to meet the requirements and expectations of this job, we invite you to apply. Please make sure to have a clear understanding of the job expectations and responsibilities before applying. If you're open to exploring other job vacancies, liquidscapes.info has many options that might be a better fit for you.