BZ-EDUCATION Job Description
Job Title: Staff Training Specialist
Location: Bronx Zoo (with travel to New York Aquarium and other WCS facilities)
Reports to: Manager of Youth Development & Internships
Schedule: Approximately 2-3 days (14-21 hrs) per week; this position will run from Jan 2024-Sept 2025. Position Summary:
Internships are primary pathways to employment in STEM fields and allow youth to build science skills, enhance leadership and core competencies, increase social capital, and gain the experiential advantage needed to secure a job. Internship managers, in particular, play a critical role in shaping youths' early perceptions of the workplace and careers. We are seeking a dedicated and passionate professional to join our team to develop and facilitate training programs for internship managers, equipping them with the knowledge and skills to effectively support a diverse group of interns. The successful candidate will lead manager listening sessions, design and implement curriculum, and conduct training and coaching sessions for multiple cohorts of youth intern managers. Training topics will include managerial skills, conscious inclusion, positive youth development, and more. Who We Are:
WCS saves wildlife and wild places worldwide through science, conservation action, education, and inspiring people to value nature. To achieve this, we harness the power of our Global Conservation Program in nearly 60 nations, in all the world's oceans, and our five wildlife parks in New York City - Bronx Zoo, Central Park Zoo, Queens Zoo, Prospect Park Zoo, and New York Aquarium - visited by 4 million people annually. We combine our expertise in the field, zoos, and aquarium to achieve our conservation mission.
The WCS Education Department works across our Zoos & Aquarium. We inspire a diverse and inclusive movement of conservation advocates by sparking connections with animals and nature, improving scientific literacy through hands-on investigation, and engaging constituents in stewardship and action to conserve wildlife and wild places.
Your Primary Responsibilities:
Qualification Requirements Qualifications:
- Along with the Youth Development team & Talent Management team, co-develop comprehensive training plans and curriculum to enhance the skills and knowledge of internship managers based on existing training priorities.
- Create engaging and interactive training materials and resources.
- Conduct workshops, training sessions, and one-on-one coaching for internship managers.
- Liaise with and schedule any outside facilitators or contractors who may facilitate select content.
- With support from the Research & Evaluation team, monitor and evaluate the effectiveness of training programs and adapt them as needed.
- During the course of the program, provide ongoing coaching, support, and guidance to managers to compliment learning modules.
- Create micro training videos (2-5 minutes) to supplement formal learning
- Monitor progress and track training completion
- Bachelor's degree in a related field (e.g., Education, Youth Development, Human Resources, etc.)
- 3+ years experience in curriculum development, adult education, talent development, and workshop facilitation.
- Knowledge of best practices in professional development and training.
- Proven experience in training staff on DEI, conscious inclusion, etc.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills, with the ability to engage, motivate, and challenge diverse audiences.
- Highly organized, with excellent project management skills.
- Understanding of youth internship programs and their unique challenges is a plus.
WCS is an equal opportunity employer, and the organization complies with all employment and labor laws and regulations that prohibit discrimination in hiring and ensures that candidates from all backgrounds are fairly and consistently considered during the recruitment process. We are dedicated to hiring and engaging a diverse workforce. We are committed to cultivating an inclusive work environment and look for future team members who share that same value. The organization provides equal employment opportunities for all qualified candidates. The organization does not discriminate for employment based on gender, race/ethnicity, religion, color, national origin, sex, age, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, citizenship status, caste, genetic information or any other covered status or characteristic protected by laws and regulations/and similar categories.
It is everyone's responsibility to ensure that we do not tolerate discrimination or harassment based upon a person's membership in one of these protected categories in areas such as recruitment, selection, job assignment, supervision, training, promotions, job grading, transfers, termination, compensation, benefits, educational opportunities, WCS sponsored recreational activities and facilities.
The organization complies with the spirit and intent of relevant local laws and WCS's employment policies. Note that the salary offer will reflect the selected candidate's individual experiences, skills and qualifications, internal equity, work location and country of work.
Part-Time Salary Range
$35.00 per hour