We currently have an opening for an HR Assistant to serve as our first point of contact for employees and customers. This role provides administrative support to the human resource function as needed, including record-keeping, file maintenance, and HRIS entry. This role reports directly to the Chief Human Resources Officer.
About Port Townsend Paper Company (PTPC)
The Port Townsend Paper (“PTPC”) mill is proud to have been in continuous operation for more than 90 years. We use a blend of virgin and recycled fibers (Kraft and OCC pulp) to produce Kraft pulp, paper, containerboard, medium and market pulp. We have built a strong and loyal customer base by developing and nurturing strategic partnership-style relationships.
At PTPC we believe that a healthy and safe work environment is fundamental to the success of all employees. We put that belief into practice every day by managing risk and building safety reliability into our processes and procedures. Engaging and empowering our workforce to maintain world-class safety performance is the pathway to achieving operational excellence. We also strive to preserve the environment, be good neighbors, and remain a valued member of the local community. Many of our employees have enjoyed working at PTPC for the greater part of their careers; we have employees with 20, 25, 30, even 35 years of service. PTPC is proud to provide good, prevailing wage jobs on the Olympic Peninsula.
- Provides excellent customer service for the HR department.
- Directs and assists employees and visitors with requests and questions.
- Maintains HRIS system.
- Conducts verification of employment.
- Assists HR team with annual event planning, and projects and/or special projects.
- Maintains appropriate office supplies, and initiates purchase requisitions as necessary.
- Assists with interviews and departmental lunches.
- Assists the HR department with filing, various projects and/or special projects.
- Assists with the drug testing program monthly.
- Other HR duties as assigned.
- Secondary contact, for open positions.
- Attends and holds jobs fairs locally.
- Assists with new employee reference checks.
- Assists with new hire induction meetings/orientations.
- Background screening.
- Onboarding review and sets up training, as needed.
- Ensures new hires are uploaded into the HRIS.
- Creates badges for all new employees.
- Prepares new employee files.
- Ensures all new hire documents are received and signed in full.
- Maintains employee records and personnel files in accordance with company policies and legal requirements.
- Secondarycontact with payroll and attendance.
- Payroll Processing:
- Reviews timecard upload and updates the employee payroll and timekeeping details as needed.
- Reconciles benefit billing in full.
- Tracks leaves and related payroll changes for all benefits coverage, and issues letters as needed.
- Participates in online open enrollment.
- ACA reporting monthly and attendance hours tracking.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal and customer service skills.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Working understanding of human resource principles, practices, and procedures.
- Excellent time management skills with a proven ability to meet deadlines.
- Ability to function well in a high-paced and at times stressful environment.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite or related software.
- High school graduate or equivalent to (GED), some college preferred.
- At least two years of office experience.
Work Schedule, and Work Environment
- Normal office hours, Monday – Friday, 8 am – 5 pm.
- Prolonged periods of sitting at a desk and working on a computer.
- Must be able to lift up to 15 pounds at times.
- Full-time, Non-Exempt position
- Salary range: $55,000 - $65,000 DOE.
- Excellent benefits package including medical, dental, life, and long-term disability insurance.
- 2 weeks paid vacation.
- Full-time employees receive 160 hours of sick leave upon hire and then earn eight hours of sick leave per month.
- 9 paid holidays and one paid personal holiday per calendar year.
- Retirement plan.
- Employee Assistance coverage with full services, including dietary and nutritional services, retirement planning, and support services.
- In compliance with the Immigration and Naturalization Act, proof of authorization to work in the United States will be required at the time of hire.
- Prior to a new hire, a background check including criminal record history will be conducted. Information from the background check will not necessarily preclude employment but will be considered in determining the applicant’s suitability and competence to perform in the position.
Application materials may be uploaded electronically:
Port Townsend Paper Company Employment
Or by emailing an updated cover letter and resume to: [email protected]
Please provide three current professional references qualified to assess your experience and ability to perform the duties specified.
Port Townsend Paper Company is an equal-opportunity employer. We are a drug free workplace.