Tri Pointe Homes is about more than homes, we are about people. We are committed to changing the lives of our customers and employees. Our passion for creating communities does not end with our customers. If this sounds like a career for you, apply to be a part of our great team.
Tri Pointe Homes Raleigh is looking for an experienced, enthusiastic individual to join our talented group as a Purchasing Agent.
Position Highlights: Timely procure materials and labor at the appropriate quality and quantity, with reasonable/low prices, while fostering healthy relationships with trade partners.
- Prepare and distribute bid packages for new communities and/or plan changes. Negotiate and award trade partner contracts based on best-qualified bids, including those with optimal pricing, quality, workload capacity, and ability to meet established work schedules. Evaluate all bids received to ensure bids are per specs, plan specifics, and include all appropriate details. Manage and update master bid list to include current and new trade partners.
- Negotiate and resolve contract changes/issues and price change requests, including effective and good through dates. Communicate product and pricing changes to Construction, Sales, Customer Care, Design Studio, and other team members as appropriate.
- Negotiate and track all Model Discounts by trade.
- Analyze and understand vendor/trade partner performance, workload, and market issues to ensure all quality, safety, and job completion requirements are met. Team with production/construction on performance management of trader partners.
- Manage construction costs through effective bidding and negotiating of community specifications with trade partners. Possess knowledge of appropriate unit costs, unbundling, takeoffs, and estimating.
- Keep abreast of current construction practices, blueprints, structural design, and building codes to ensure proper contracting of trades.
- Understand best practices to gain efficiency and accuracy and champion new products and processes for consideration and implementation.
- Recommend/Develop standard features for all projects (with Purchasing management and brand/division leadership approval) and work with Purchasing, Options, Sales, and Marketing team members (as applicable) to maintain these features.
- Oversee contract administration input and timelines.
- Ensure accuracy of Scopes of Work with all trade partners and vendors.
- Help produce/manage quarterly Purchasing Department reports creation, distribution, and analysis for assigned communities.
- Understand and maintain the National Contract program with Manufacturers and Vendors for each product.
- Perform cost comparisons and analyses as needed to support Land Acquisition/Due Diligence.
- Interface with architects and structural engineers on product development and innovation.
- Work with the Purchasing Director/Manager to negotiate the base home cost and option costs before total sales prices being finalized. Provide input and help oversee the finalization of Plan Revision Notice pricing.
- Order samples for sales teams, design center, and other subcontractors as needed (i.e. cabinet stain samples for paint subcontractor (for beams, stairs, etc.).
- Work collaboratively with the design studio, sales, construction, customer care, trade partners, and other team members regarding community standards and option issues that arise.
- Keep up with industry trends and research new ideas while being mindful of the end-user – the homebuyer.
- Follow company expectations, including internal control and ethics policies, regarding trade partner and vendor selection/relations and national accounts.
- Work with internal and external business partners on option-related topics, including but not limited to: sourcing new vendors, negotiating option costs, reading and understanding floorplans, identifying and solving practical problems. Also, engage in product development with internal and external partners to ensure a cost-effective base and options upfront before plans are finalized for the bid to contract process.
- Establish, negotiate, manage and contract option pricing for each community.
- Oversee and manage the processing of customer options upgrades – working collaboratively with design studio team members as appropriate.
- Maintain and distribute updated options reports as needed.
- Create and update option product offerings in Envision and other database applications.
- Prepare and submit for bid all civil engineering plans for rough and fine grading, wet utilities (storm drain, sewer, and water), dry utilities, street improvements (curb, gutter, sidewalks, AC pavement, signage, and striping), walls/ornamental iron.
- Prepare and submit for bid common area landscaping plans, entry monuments, gates, parks, etc.
- Analyze/qualify returning bids and discuss results with the Land Development team. Ensure budgets are aligned and negotiate for best-qualified bids based on pricing, quality, existing workload, and ability to meet our schedule.
- Finalize contract scope details and oversee contract administration.
- Negotiate and resolve contract changes/issues and price change requests with trade partners and Land Development team members, oversee and confirm the accuracy of all changes.
- Read and understand civil plans and provide valuable feedback before developing sites of potential issues relative to the proposed architectural plans for the community.
- Establish budgets through accurate and detailed estimating of construction drawings. Read and interpret architectural plans for options and engage in the review/redlining of all new plans before bidding.
- Manage budget revisions for all plan changes (frame walks, specification changes, field redline changes, added options, etc.). Establish costs before options being offered and ensure all affected homesite budgets are updated appropriately.
- Investigate, research, and resolve billing inquiries and provide the necessary documentation.
- Provide forward-looking base house budgets monthly.
- Manage Random Lengths lumber tracker so that price changes are forecasted 30 days in advance of the implementation date.
- Establish cut-off dates by the community, by phase for all option stages as trench dates are finalized.
- Develop and maintain excellent working relationships with trade partners, suppliers, and vendors. Attend BIA/Trade partner events to maintain trade partner relationships and expand bid list.
- Work collaboratively with TRI Pointe Group National Accounts and Marketing teams.
- Develop and maintain respect and harmony with all team members, trade partners, vendors, and customers.
- Demonstrate a commitment to the Company’s Mission, Vision & Values, and Brand Pillars.
- Proactively engage with office and field team members and departments to improve processes and community executions, and to ensure work is being completed in a timely, efficient manner.
- Exercise initiative in organizing and completing assigned tasks according to established guidelines, safety standards and procedures, deadlines, and department parameters.
- A Highschool diploma or equivalent is required. BA/BS Degree is preferred, or an equivalent combination of education and experience required.
- A minimum of 1 year of homebuilder purchasing experience is preferred.
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to prioritize multiple tasks with high-quality results.
- Detail-oriented with the ability to multi-task while meeting various deadlines.
- Team player with excellent verbal and written skills.
- Strong PC skills required, with a high level of proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite (MS Word, MS Excel, MS PowerPoint, and MS Outlook), Adobe Pro, and internet-based programs such as Internet Explorer and Google Chrome. Prior experience with Corrigo, Enterprise-One/JD Edwards, Sharefile, Docusign, Envision, and Hyphen Solutions preferred.
At Tri Pointe Homes, we are intentional about fostering an environment where you, and all individuals, are encouraged to be their authentic selves. We embrace individuality and strive to be consciously inclusive of different backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives in every aspect of our business. We believe our company’s strength relies on the diversity of the team and the unique, innovative ideas everyone contributes.
Pursuant to the California Consumer Privacy Act of 2018, if you are a California resident, you have the right to know the categories of personal information that we collect about job applicants, employees and their emergency contacts and beneficiaries, and independent contractors. Please click here for a description of our personal information collection practices.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer, which means we make employment decisions based on merit and qualifications and are committed to providing equal opportunities for all applicants and employees without regard to their race, color, creed, religion, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, age, disability, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local laws.
We will endeavor to make a reasonable accommodation to the known physical or mental limitations of a qualified applicant with a disability unless the accommodation would impose an undue hardship on the operation of our business. If you believe you require such assistance to apply for an open position or to participate in an interview, please let us know.