The school librarian provides instructional leadership for the teaching of information literacy skills, develops and maintains a school library collection that has up-to-date digital and print materials and technology, including curation of openly licensed educational resources, and manages the school library as a flexible, multi-tasked learning environment. Collaborates with school faculty and administrators to develop a program that supports the instructional curriculum. Essential Job Functions Essential Job Functions :
- Teach the skills of information location, access, evaluation, use and communication as they relate to the program of instruction to both students and teachers
- Assists in maintaining the school library’s print, non-print, and electronic collections and manages circulation of curricular support materials and equipment
- Collaborates with teachers in planning assignments providing instruction that supports the development of digital learning, participatory learning, inquiry learning, technology literacies, and information literacy
- Performs collection development by selecting, ordering, and adding new items to replace and/or update the school library resources
- Introduces new instructional materials and technologies to staff
- May supervise library assistants and volunteers in the school library
- Plans and directs special projects involving that supports, supplements, and elevates the literacy experience through guidance and motivational reading initiatives
- Prepares or assists in preparation of the school library budget
- Demonstrates commitment to improving professional competence.
- Assesses student learning on an ongoing basis and alters instruction to meet group/individual needs.
- Uses the curriculum of the district as well as National School Library Standards for Learners, School Librarians, and School Libraries to plan daily instructional activities.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Budgetary Responsibility :
Assists in developing the spending plan for the school library budget considering current and future resource needs.
Report Preparation :
Generates reports as related to circulation of library materials and budgetary procedures. Prepares reports as requested by building principal and/or district library services specialist.
Equipment Operation :
Operates and instructs others in the operation of computer and electronic equipment for in various formats..
Other schoollibrarians, faculty, administrators, staff, students, parents, community leaders, public and academic librarians.
Work Direction :
May assist in providing work direction to Library Assistants who assist the school librarian in providing services to faculty and students.
May provide supervision of Library Assistants.
Decision Making :
A high level of independent decision-making is required within areas of direct responsibility. Supervisor’s approval is required for decisions that affect areas beyond those under direct management of the position or to meet fiscal policies and procedures.
Formal Policy-Setting Responsibilities :
Physical Demands : The physical demands are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands and fingers; reach with hands and arms; handle or feel objects, printed materials, and controls; and talk, hear, stand, walk, bend and sit. Some lifting is required.
Work Environment :
The school library is the normal work environment. The noise level in the work environment is moderate. Some exposure to dust and mold is likely in the work environment. Qualifications
Working knowledge of the concepts, principles, and methodologies of teaching and learning and of current practices in school librarianship. Demonstrated ability to develop instructional goals for students; to manage print, non-print and electronic collection of curricular support materials and equipment; to prepare and monitor departmental budget; to provide work direction to others; to collaborate with other instructional personnel; to communicate instructional goals to others effectively, orally and in writing. Demonstrated ability in decision making, problem analysis, conflict resolution, interpersonal relationships and planning. Requirements
Must hold or be eligible for a Virginia teaching license with an endorsement in Library Media.
Applicants considered for employment must successfully complete the following background investigations/tests:
- Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) Criminal History Investigation
- State Police Criminal History Investigation
- Child Protective Services (CPS) Investigation
- Tuberculosis Screening/Test
Chesterfield County Public Schools assures Equal Employment Opportunities for employees as required by Federal and State Orders and Laws. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential tasks. This job description is intended to accurately reflect the position activities and requirements. However, administration reserves the right to modify, add, or remove duties and assign other duties as necessary. It is not intended to be and should not be construed as an all-inclusive list of all the responsibilities, skills, or working conditions associated with the position and does not imply an employment contract.