Gannett Co., Inc. (NYSE: GCI) is a subscription-led and digitally-focused media and marketing solutions company committed to empowering communities to thrive. With an unmatched reach at the national and local level, Gannett touches the lives of millions with our Pulitzer Prize-winning content, consumer experiences and benefits, and advertiser products and services.
Our current portfolio of media assets includes The USA TODAY NETWORK, which includes USA TODAY, and local media organizations in 43 states in the United States, and Newsquest, a wholly-owned subsidiary operating in the United Kingdom. We also own digital marketing services companies under the brand LocaliQ, which provide a cloud-based platform of products to enable small and medium-sized businesses to accomplish their marketing goals. In addition, our portfolio includes one of the largest media-owned events businesses in the U.S., USA TODAY NETWORK Ventures.
Gannett open roles are featured on various external job boards. When applying to a position at Gannett, you should be completing an application on via . Job postings directing you to complete an application on other external sites may not be valid.
To connect with us, visit
Executive Editor, Planning & Enterprise, USA Today
Gannett is a next-generation media company that empowers communities to connect, act, and thrive. We are headquartered in McLean, VA and have unparalleled local-to-national reach, successfully connecting consumers, communities, and businesses. With the iconic USA TODAY, 107 strong local media organizations, and with more than 160 local news brands online in the U.K., we provide rich content through hundreds of outstanding affiliated digital, mobile, and print products. Our goal is to re-imagine our traditional media roots. This is achieved by creating innovative products and services that leverage our role as an information provider and reach our customers whenever and wherever. The Gannett community is stepping boldly into a new chapter, more resourceful, more diverse, and more assured than ever. The Position:
We are looking for an Executive Editor for Planning and Enterprise at USA TODAY, the flagship news organization of the USA TODAY NETWORK. The Executive Editor is a seasoned news executive fluent in digital as well as print, reporting directly to the Editor in Chief.
For this role, you will be an exceptional collaborator and people manager with a demonstrated ability to rally big newsrooms to sustained excellence.
USA TODAY is a newsroom with a strong legacy of innovation and inclusion, and you will help build on that legacy by fostering a culture of risk-taking and experimentation.
This role is a great fit for someone who has managed newsroom during big breaking news events, who understands that explaining the implications – the how, the why and the what-next -- of the news is the real value of what we do for readers, viewers, listeners, and other content consumers. You will be nimble and relentless in delivering consistently useful, enterprising reporting every day.
This position reports to the editor in chief and will lead the production of a robust, digital news report defined by distinctive and essential national reporting every day.
This role is based in Washington, DC.
This person will have the skills to both raise the quality level of the journalism and increase USA TODAY’s considerable digital reach. Their expertise will encompass multiple areas of coverage – investigative, national, international, politics, life, sports, business and more –as well as emerging media, mobile, social media and video strategy, and use of data to drive engagement and traffic. The right candidate will have superb editing, rewrite, and packaging skills. They will have the experience and ability to assess structure, personnel, and technological needs, and to make necessary changes. They will be a strong leader and a collaborative one, able to work with USA TODAY peers in senior leadership as well as across the USA TODAY NETWORK, which encompasses USA TODAY plus 109 local news brands including the Detroit Free Press, the Cincinnati Enquirer, Des Moines Register, Milwaukee Journal, and Arizona Republic.
Job Level: Sr Director, Editor Operations Responsibilities:
- Uphold the highest journalism standards across digital and print platforms, strongly support the First Amendment and conceive, pursue, and execute watchdog reporting.
- Provide exemplary leadership for USA TODAY and, along with Editor in Chief, help execute the strategic vision that elevates our journalism and grows the audience.
- Provide leadership and be knowledgeable in national, state, and local news, investigative journalism, public service, and government issues.
- Experienced and fluent in digital as well as in print.
- Provide leadership in increasing journalistic quality and storytelling across all areas of coverage.
- Excellent personal leadership, change management and ability to collaborate and influence cross-functionally—can conduct a dialogue that is intellectually honest, brings out diversity of ideas and creates the appropriate integration/connectivity.
- Strong communicator of the company’s strategic initiatives, purpose, vision, culture, and plan. Demonstrated commitment to diversity.
- Lead the planning and oversee execution of content strategies with a keen eye focused on strategic audiences. Creativity and an ability to develop and execute innovative approaches are essential.
- Bachelor's or master’s degree in journalism or any other subject or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Minimum 10 years of experience across multiple storytelling platforms.
- Experience in high-level decision-making with complex, impactful, or sensitive news content.
- Strong ability to conceptualize and lead news coverage.
- Strong ability in editing, rewriting, headlines, and packaging of content.
- A history of successful leadership, innovation, and goal achievement.
- Demonstrated change leader who collaborates and communicates effectively.
- Personal charisma, comfortable with public speaking and a commitment to staff interaction.
- Understanding of the changing media landscape and ability to adapt strategies that address continually changing market and consumer needs and desires.
- Demonstrated strong competitive instincts and intellectual curiosity.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively manage and coordinate in an environment of accountability.
- Demonstrated track record in recruiting a highly successful leadership team highly desirable.
- Experience driving a successful turnaround or transformation highly desirable.
- Employment is contingent on passing a post-offer, pre-employment background check.
We are eager to learn more about you and how you fit this role. When you apply, don’t limit your upload to a resume; show us what you’ve done. To do so, put together a single document file that includes the following, in this order: * Your resume – one to two pages.
- A cover letter that outlines how you would approach the job.
It is important that these items be assembled into a single document and uploaded in PDF format. Completing these steps will ensure that your application receives the highest consideration.
Gannett Co., Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer committed to building and maintaining a diverse workforce. As such, we will consider all qualified applicants for employment and do not discriminate in connection with employment decisions on the basis of an applicant or employee’s race, color, national origin, ethnicity, ancestry, citizenship status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, marital status, personal appearance (including height and weight), sexual orientation, family responsibilities, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy status (including childbirth, breastfeeding or related medical conditions), education, genetic characteristics or information, political affiliation, military or veteran status or other classifications protected by applicable federal, state and local laws in the jurisdictions where Gannett employs employees. In addition, Gannett Co., Inc. will provide applicants who require a reasonable accommodation, as a result of an applicant’s disability or religion, to complete this employment application and/or any other process in connection with an individuals’ application for employment with Gannett Co., Inc. Applicants who require such accommodation should contact Gannett Co., Inc.’s Recruitment Department at Recruit@gannett.com. Other details
- Job Family Media
- Job Function Content Production
- Pay Type Salary
- Required Education Equivalent Experience