Post of duty: Washington, D.C. – USA
The IDB Group is a community of diverse, versatile, and passionate people who come together on a journey to improve lives in Latin America and the Caribbean. Our people find purpose and do what they love in an inclusive, collaborative, agile, and rewarding environment. About this position
Established in 1959, the Inter-American Development Bank (IDB) is today the leading source of development financing for Latin America and the Caribbean. Through financial and technical support for countries working to reduce poverty and inequality, the IDB’s aim is to achieve development in a sustainable, climate-friendly way. It provides loans, grants, and technical assistance, and conducts extensive research.
The Administrative Tribunal of the Inter-American Development Bank Group (Administrative Tribunal), established by the Board of Executive Directors of the IDB in 1981, hears and passes judgment upon any application by which an Employee of the Bank or of the Inter-American Investment Corporation alleges non-observance of his or her contract of employment or terms and conditions of appointment.
To ensure the continuity of the Administrative Tribunal activities, the Secretariat wishes to offer a short-term consultancy to conclude the research developed by the 2023 summer intern about evidence filed by Parties in concluded cases.
The Research Assistant Consultant will contribute to the work of the Administrative Tribunal by performing research tasks from the place of residence at this moment. She will be directly reporting to the Legal Analyst.
What you’ll do
- Support the work of the Secretariat in outreach activities and development of knowledge products, as established in the work program of the Tribunal for 2024.
- Assist the Secretariat in the update data set with latest issued Decisions, following the data classification used by the Tribunal. Update several graphs based on the updated data set, in agreement with the supervisor, to be used for specific reporting activities.
- Finalizing Annual report of Activity to be presented to the Board of Directors.
- Prepare draft for email and communication on the website as requested.
- Assist the Secretariat in migrating information from an existing database of the Tribunal’s case-law to be used for knowledge sharing projects.
What you’ll need
- Education: Bachelor’s degree in Law or related field.
- Experience: Two years of relevant experience in international law or related field.
- Languages: Excellent oral and written English, including the ability to draft legal research findings and edit basic materials using proper grammar, punctuation, and style.
- Knowledge and understanding of IDB and Tribunal mandate.
- Experience working in a tribunal/court environment, legal department of an international or public organization, or a law firm is preferred.
- Advanced knowledge of MS Word and good knowledge of MS Excel and PowerPoint.
- Proficiency in advanced functions of IDBG technology packages is a plus.
- Good knowledge of and demonstrated experience in research support functions (e.g., database management, knowledge management, task management, document retention/management requirements, etc.) and ability to apply relevant procedures, processes and systems.
- Knowledge and Learning: Actively seeks knowledge needed to complete assignments and shares knowledge with others, communicating and presenting information in a clear and organized manner.
- Versatility and adaptability: Able to prioritize and balance multiple tasks, and to identify, prevent and/or solve problems.
- Skills: Strong attention to detail, effective analytical and problem-solving skills, ability to deal sensitively in multicultural environments and build effective working relationships with clients and colleagues, excellent client orientation, teamwork (Collaboration). Collaborates effectively with other team members and contributes productively to the team’s work and output, demonstrating flexibility, respect for different points of view and drive to complete the overall mission.
- Ability to consistently deliver timely and high-quality work while handling multiple concurrent assignments, working simultaneously with other Secretariat staff.
- Citizenship: You are a citizen of one of our 48-member countries.
- Consanguinity: You have no family members (up to the fourth degree of consanguinity and second degree of affinity, including spouse) working at the IDB, IDB Invest, or IDB Lab.
Type of contract and duration
- Type of contract: International Consultant Full-Time.
- Length of contract: 8 months.
- Work Location: On site.
Our team in Human Resources carefully reviews all applications. Our culture
At the IDB Group we work so everyone brings their best and authentic selves to work, willing to try new approaches without fear, and where they are accountable and rewarded for their actions.
Diversity, Equity, Inclusion and Belonging (DEIB) are at the center of our organization. We celebrate all dimensions of diversity and encourage women, LGBTQ+ people, persons with disabilities, Afro-descendants, and Indigenous people to apply.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job interview process. If you are a qualified candidate with a disability, please e-mail us at to request reasonable accommodation to complete this application.
Our Human Resources Team reviews carefully every application.
About the IDB Group
The IDB Group, composed of the Inter-American Development Bank (IDB), IDB Invest, and the IDB Lab offers flexible financing solutions to its member countries to finance economic and social development through lending and grants to public and private entities in Latin America and the Caribbean.
We work to improve lives in Latin America and the Caribbean. Through financial and technical support for countries working to reduce poverty and inequality, we help improve health and education and advance infrastructure. Our aim is to achieve development in a sustainable, climate-friendly way. With a history dating back to 1959, today we are the leading source of development financing for Latin America and the Caribbean. We provide loans, grants, and technical assistance; and we conduct extensive research. We maintain a strong commitment to achieving measurable results and the highest standards of integrity, transparency, and accountability.