It is imperative to fulfill the requirement of passing High School for this job vacancy. If you are the successful candidate for this job, your salary will be USD 17 - 22. When applying for full time jobs with Sedgwick County, consider the company's culture and values to ensure that they align with your personal and professional beliefs. The employer is currently seeking a candidate for a position based in Wichita, but is open to the possibility of remote work for the right applicant. The job offer of PT Zookeeper - ASAM - ZOO has been made available since December 7, 2023, and it will expire on March 5, 2024.
Pay: $20.10 per hour Work Schedule:
Sedgwick County offers a comprehensive benefits package for full-time employees that includes health coverages, paid leave, regular compensation reviews, retirement plans, and professional development opportunities. For more detailed information, please visit our benefits page at .
There are several things you need to consider before applying for jobs online to ensure that you find legitimate job postings and avoid scams. If a job posting requests access to your personal bank account, proceed with caution. If an employer only wants to conduct your interview via email or text, it may be a scam. If a potential employer asks for sensitive information such as your social security number, driver's license, or passport, ask why it is necessary and how it will be protected. Check the website address and ensure you are on the legitimate liquidscapes.info website to avoid any negative outcomes. To ensure a successful job search, always research the company before applying for any job to verify its legitimacy and reputation. To verify that the job posting is real and the position is open, it's always a good idea to get in touch with the company directly. Always be wary of job postings that use urgency or pressure to get you to apply quickly, as they may be scams or fraudulent job opportunities. Job postings that require you to pay upfront fees are often scams that target vulnerable job seekers.
Provides daily care for mammal collection including but not limited to: feeding, cleaning, observing, recording, and reporting behavior. Conducts training and enrichment activities. Inspects facilities for security, safety, repair and maintenance. Interacts and provides customer service to all zoo defined customers.
Animal Care and Management
- Demonstrates and maintains knowledge of basic mammalian natural history and behavior
- Monitors and interprets animal general health and behavior, recognizes abnormalities and potential medical conditions
- Effectively and timely communicates to supervisors and veterinary team observations of animal behavior and health conditions. Handle animals for medical purposes and in preparation for transport
- Under the direction of veterinarians and/or supervisors administers medications or treatment as instructed
- Prepares animal diets which may vary widely among taxa
- Drive Zoological Society owned vehicle, as needed for transportation of animals
- Through consultation with supervisors and other resources maintains and develops a skillset of animal training, enrichment and welfare
- Conduct and evaluate enrichment activities to satisfy AZA standards
- Conduct and evaluate positive reinforcement training when appropriate
- Record animal training and enrichment observations and health conditions in daily records
- Participate in animal welfare assessment activities
- Clean and maintain service areas, animal habitats and public viewing areas. Areas are to be clean, organized and free of clutter. Public areas are to be clean, presentable and aesthetically pleasing for zoo defined customers.
- Uses wheel barrows, rakes, shovels, hoses, scrub brooms, tubs and a variety of other tools
- Daily inspects animal habitats and associated facilities for security and safety concerns
- Conducts minor repairs to facilities or promptly submits concerns to supervisor
- Ensures that habitats are ready for public display in a timely manner
- Communicates any pest control concerns to supervisors or veterinary team
Minimum Qualifications: Two years coursework from an accredited college or university or any equivalent combination of training and experience which provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities. One year of experience at an AZA Facility. Per Sedgwick County policy, this is a driving level position that requires a valid driver's license without restrictions and current proof of automobile insurance. Out-of-state driver's license accepted upon hire with ability to obtain a valid State of Kansas Driver's License within 30 days of employment.
Preferred Qualifications: Degree in Zoology or Biology from an accredited college or university. Three years of experience as a zookeeper in an AZA Facility. Valid State of Kansas Driver's License.
It is the policy of Sedgwick County not to discriminate in its programs or services provided to the general public, including employment and all other activities, on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, citizenship, sex, age, disability, veteran status or any other similarly protected status. Sedgwick County is committed to making the application, interview, and pre-employment testing process accessible to persons with disabilities. If you wish to volunteer information regarding any special assistance you may need, please notify Human Resources by phone at (316) 660-7050, TDD (Kansas Relay at 711 or 800-766-3777). Do not use this phone number for employment questions. This number is provided only for those requiring ADA assistance. You will be contacted should the department feel that you are a qualified candidate.
After taking the time to read this job vacancy carefully, it's time to make a decision. Have you done so? Please only submit your application if you are certain that you can fulfill the responsibilities and expectations of this job. We want all applicants to have a clear understanding of the job expectations and responsibilities before applying. Remember, it's not just about submitting your application quickly – it's about submitting a quality application.